Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Concept Maps and Brainstorming


Concept Mapping is a technique used for representing knowledge in graphs or an organized manner. A concept map is generally used to generate ideas for brainstorming. It also enables the user to design a complex structure with ideas and side notes to further elaborate on ideas the user has. It is a great communication tool to use in the workplace when trying to explain or describe an idea to another person or a group. It compliments the learning by integrating new and old knowledge. It allows expansion of ideas.
Mind Mapping or concept maps are a very popular trend that have been seen more frequently in most professional workplaces. Mind maps are slightly different than concept maps. Mind Maps consist of a central word or concept, around the central word you draw the five to ten main ideas that relate to that word. Then, you take each of those words and elaborate further on those five to ten words with main ideas that relate to each of the words. The difference between the two ( Mind Mapping and Concept Maps) is that a mind map has only one main concept, which a concept map has several. 



In the picture above I did a short Mind map on the process of creating a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. I used the website bubbl.us which is an online brainstorming or mind mapping site that allows anyone with an email address to access it. The site is extremely simple to use and pretty much self explanatory. 
In my professional field, I definitely believe that concept maps, brainstorming, and mind mapping could be extremely useful and beneficial in many different ways. If I were hired to work for a professional football team, and I was in charge of their volunteer work and community service I could easily present ideas to the board about what the players could do. That would enable me to have a simple visual for the people I was presenting to. Hopefully at that point it would make everything a bit clearer and be easily understood. Now, I could also use these resources for a personal tool. These could help me create ideas and put them together in what you might call an "organized mess". Usually when professionals are coming up with ideas that is what tends to happen, however with this tool you can put all of your ideas together in one place and even in specific order! Not only could I use this in my field but also in almost every professional workplace, but also in the school system. I presented this to my room mate who is a Family, Youth and Community Sciences Major with a minor in education and she was so interested in the topic because these are the types of tools that are extremely useful to her. She explained that this concept mapping and brainstorming ideas could benefit her in each of her fields. 


There are other websites that are also easy to use and here are a few links to check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment